On 14 October 2020, the European Commission published its Communication on the “Chemicals Strategy for Sustainability, towards a toxic-free environment”.
Key actions in the Sustainable Chemicals Strategy are:
• Banning the most harmful chemicals in consumer products – allowing their use only where essential
• Phase out per – and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in the EU, unless their use is essential
• Boost the investment and innovative capacity for production and use of chemicals that are safe and sustainable by design throughout their life cycle
• Promote EU’s resilience of supply and sustainability of critical chemicals
• Establish a simpler “one substance one assessment” process for the risk and hazard assessment of chemicals
• Promote high standards and not exporting chemicals banned in the EU.